So here we are over 7 months into Covid-19 changing the world as we knew it. How has it affected you personally? Have you been able to shift your money mindset and your mindset in general during these unprecedented times? Much like your finances, you can not put your head in the sand regarding Covid-19 and hope when you wake up things will be better. Both Covid-19 and your current financial situation is real and can not be wished away. Covid-19 has negatively affected many people’s money situation. This blog post is about shifting your perspective from oh no! to what if…
What if you…
- Take time to reassess your finances?
- Create and work a budget, no matter what your current financial situation?
- Learn more about how money functions?
- Find ways that cost nothing or next to nothing to bring you joy?
- Pursue a dream?
- Reconnect with yourself?
Launching a Business During Covid-19
Covid-19 has definitely placed a damper on my money and my life in some ways. Yet, it has also made me reflect more and be in the moment, this moment right here and now. It made me realize how in the blink of an eye so much can change but I always have the power and choice to guide my own life.
I chose to launch MoneyMaestra on April 15th of this year because normally, that would have been tax filing day in the United States. When tax day was postponed (thankfully) until July 15th, I decided to launch MoneyMaestra anyway because I was ready. So I did it. My comfort level and forte was speaking to individuals and groups in public, not via Zoom. Yet, Zoom was now my platform and it forced me to learn how to teach online, which was something that I had been postponing. That was definitely a silver lining for me. Now, I can teach and consult on Zoom and have increased my online presence exponentially.
Find Some Peace & Tranquility
When you have fear, anxiety, and chaos infusing your life on a daily basis it does not help your money situation. When you can focus and think clearly and truthfully about your finances, that is when things begin to shift. So, what are some free or very inexpensive ways to find some peace amidst the craziness of our current times?
- Take a walk- literally go outside and take a walk. One, it is good for your physical health but it also helps your mind relax. My friend Cheryl, who lives outside Los Angeles, often begins her day with a walk through her neighborhood. This practice has helped put her in tune with nature and all the beauty that surrounds us if we open our eyes, ears, and hearts. Cheryl sends me photos of the amazing flora and fauna she sees on her walks: flowering trees, succulents, foxes, birds, squirrels, and even a whole colony of snails- just fascinating! Starting your day with a little bit of wonder well, it does wonders for you.
- Go to the water, the woods, the mountains, the park or another favorite spot. Find time to get out in nature. There is something so soothing and peaceful about witnessing nature in action. Nature has actually thrived during this time of CoronaVirus because humans and pollution have slowed down. We are all connected and if you want to understand this more fully, observe nature- you won’t be disappointed. My friend Lisa, who lives in a townhouse and has minimal ground space, created a container butterfly garden. Lisa regularly texts me photos of the beauty she sees right outside her door. She has expressed what a joy her garden has been to her during Covid-19. My friend Karyn lives near the Intracoastal Waterway and walks to the water with her husband almost nightly. Together they sit, talk, and observe the natural rhythms of nature.
- Read. The possibilities are endless. Whatever your passion, interests, dreams- there are books on the topic. I always have a pile of books in my to read list and during CoronaVirus I am making a big dent in that list. I am regularly transported to another time, place, and adventure- for free or the minimal cost of the book. You can always read a book about finances and up your money game! I do- I am always learning and growing.
- Call or Zoom a friend, family member, or group of people. Zoom was little known before Covid-19, now it is a regular part of life. It has even become its own verb, “Are you available to Zoom?” There is a free version if you don’t need to have long sessions. Stay connected with the people you love.
- Clean and declutter your home. I am still working on this one! Take this time to go through all the stuff you have been accumulating. There are many places that need and accept donations. This is a win/win- it is freeing for you and you are helping someone in need.
You Are The Boss of Your Money
- Create and work that budget! A budget is not contingent upon earning a certain amount of money. A budget is one of the key building blocks to financial freedom- regardless of your current income level. When you look your money situation head on and face it- that is a major step in the right direction. You have to look, assess, and then make a plan. A budget is an integral part of that plan. A friend of mine reached out to me recently and said it is time- I have to get my finances in order. She said, I need a budget! This friend hired me to work with her to create a budget. It has not even been two weeks and she said she is already feeling relieved. You have the power over your financial life but first, you have to claim it!
I hope that you find some peace and serenity in the storm and know that we will come out on the other side. CoronaVirus has been here for months and continues- so please take this time to look inside yourself, reflect, recharge, and shift your money mindset.
Susan, The MoneyMaestra